Thanks to funding raised through the efforts of the
FRIENDS OF THE DOBBS FERRY LIBRARY,
Guidelines for Borrowing and Use of DFPL Franklin T10 Mobile Hotspots
- Borrower must be 18 years or older to check out a hotspot
- Have a Dobbs Ferry Public Library Card in good standing (Only DOB card holders may check out our hotspots)
- Borrower is limited to no more than 2 checkouts per month
- Borrower is limited to checking out one (1) hotspot device at a time
What comes in a hotspot kit?
- 1 case
- 1 hotspot device
- 1 micro USB cable
- 1 wall charger
- 1 information sheet
Where can I check out a hotspot kit?
You can check out the hotspot at the Circulation Desk.
Can I place a hold on a hotspot device?
Yes, you can place a hold in our online catalog via this link, or by calling the Circulation Desk at (914) 693-6614 for assistance.
One (1) hotspot hold may be placed on a library card at a time.
You may pick up your hotspot on the day for which you reserved it; customers have 2 days (48 hours) to check out the hotspot before the hold is canceled.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long can I borrow a hotspot kit?
You can borrow a hotspot kit for two weeks (14 days). Overdue charge for the hotspot is $10 per day.
Where should I return a hotspot kit?
A hotspot kit must be returned in person to the DFPL circulation desk. Hotspots may NOT be returned in a book drop or at any other library.
What if I return a hotspot kit late or lose it?
Customers are responsible for costs associated with loss or damage of the hotspots and/or cords, adapters, cases, etc.
The overdue fine is $10 per day, with a maximum total of $40. Hotspots not returned after 3 days will be assumed-lost and charged the replacement cost of $150. Wireless service on the hotspot will be turned off if the hotspot is not returned on the due date.
If individual parts of the kit are lost or damaged, the following replacement costs will be the responsibility of the borrower.
- Hotspot device replacement fee: $110
- Charger cord replacement: $10
- USB adapter replacement: $10
- Case replacement: $20
If the entire hotspot kit is lost or damaged, please contact the location where you checked it out immediately. The total kit replacement fee is $150.
Will the Hotspot work everywhere?
No, it will only work where T-Mobile has data coverage. If you plan to take the hotspot on a trip, check T-Mobile’s Coverage Map Enter the zip code where you will be and click ‘Map It!’. Also, when it comes to having a good connection to the internet, consider the hotspot to be like a cell phone. If there’s a location where you don’t have a strong enough signal to make a cell phone call, then it is likely that the hotspot won’t work in that location.
My device will not connect to the hotspot or it will not stay connected.
A hotspot connects to nearby cellular towers, just like a smartphone does, and then wirelessly shares its data connection with nearby Wi-Fi-enabled devices, like a laptop. Your hotspot device needs to connect to a T-Mobile cell tower in order to function. Signal strength will vary based on the physical location of your hotspot.
Troubleshooting connection issues:
- Move the device to a different location. For example, try setting it by a window or taking it to a different side of the house, so it can more easily connect with a T-Mobile cell tower.
- Restart the hotspot and your personal device.
- Check to see that the Wi-Fi connection on your personal device is turned on. This can be done in the settings menu on your device.
- Make sure the hotspot is not more than 30 feet away from your personal device. The connection strength will be weaker if your device is farther away from the hotspot.
- Visit T-Mobile’s Coverage Map to determine the strength of the signal at your address.
Help, the hotspot screen is locked/asking me to enter a PIN number.
You do not need to unlock the hotspot or enter a PIN number. To use the device, turn it on by pressing and holding the power button located on the side of the device. Once the device is on, it’s ready to use!
How many devices can be connected to a hotspot?
Up to sixteen (16) devices can be connected to the hotspot device at one time using the WiFi password which can be found on the back of the device.
Can I use the hotspot device outside the U.S.?
No, the hotspot device only functions in the United States and where a T-Mobile signal is available. Visit T-Mobile’s Coverage Map to see where T-Mobile coverage is available.
What if I need help with the WiFi hotspot kit?
If you need help connecting your personal device to the hotspot, please speak to one of the librarians at the reference desk or call 914-693-6614.