The Dobbs Ferry Public Library Community Room & Plotkin Galleries exhibit professional-quality work by area artists, for the purpose of increasing public awareness of the visual arts. Works chosen for the gallery present a wide variety of art that is appropriate for a public space used by all ages.
* All work must be ready to hang.
* Other than canvas, all work must be framed (not clipped between two pieces of glass. Canvas works, if not framed, must be finished on edges.
* Group shows: accept two items per person and curator will try to hang both.
* Curator's decision will take precedence over what is hung and where.
* Responsibility of showing artist: all work hung from molding, Hooks provided by gallery. (No nails in walls).
* Labels, gallery list, signs, or posters will be provided by the exhibitor.
* The Library reserves the right to final approval of the appearance and design of all such materials.
* For each work, the artist is to provide a display card or title label indicating the name of the work, artist's name, and medium.
* Prices will not be displayed on individual works, but will be available as part of the promotional materials; the list, including price and the artist's telephone number, will be kept at the Circulation Desk and will be provided to visitors upon request.
* No items listed for sale may be removed during the exhibit.
* All exhibits must be located within the gallery; any exhibits to be held elsewhere in the building will require special permission from the Library Board.
* The Library will facilitate publicity about the exhibit and may include some promotion such as press releases to local and regional newspapers, calendars, and brochures.
* (Library Director will send a press release to The Journal News and Rivertowns Enterprise, provided information is received three weeks prior to opening).
* Artists are encouraged to promote their exhibit through invitations and announcements, which must be pre-approved by the Library Director.
* Call 693-6614 for more information.
* Gallery opening: Date and time must be approved, in advance, by the Library Director.Artist or group leader should send personal invitations to opening.
* We recommend postcard type.
* Artist or group leader will provide refreshments for opening.
* Friends will provide paper goods, with advance notification.
* In return for the opportunity to exhibit at the Library, the Friends request a commission of 20 percent of any artwork sold.
* A $50.00 refundable security deposit is required for opening reception, no less than one week in advance of the scheduled event.
* Transportation of artwork to and from the Library is the responsibility of the exhibitor. The exhibitor must be present for the installation and dismantling of an exhibit.
* The date and time should be established at least five business days prior to the opening of the exhibition.
* Installation will be handled by the exhibit coordinator.
* Artists may assist in the installation if arrangements are made in advance.
* Works are to be picked up by the artist within 48 hours of the conclusion of the exhibit (preferably on the actual date of closing since secure storage space is very limited).
* Change of date or other problems contact curator or Library Director at 693-6614.
* Exhibits in the meeting room shall be available to the general public only when no other meetings are in session.
* No meetings shall be interrupted to set-up, remove, or to view any exhibit while a meeting is in session.
* Granting permission to use library facilities does not constitute an endorsement by the library staff, library trustees or the Friends of the Library.
* The Friends and the Library assumes no liability for items installed, displayed or exhibited.
* The library does not insure exhibits.
* The Library has security cameras installed in the gallery, but will provide no special security personnel.
* The risk of loss, theft or damage will be held by the exhibitor.
* Artist must establish value of works and take out insurance, if deemed necessary.